Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Hi, my name is...

"Volunteering leads to a more active lifestyle both physically and mentally which reduces risk of chronic conditions"

I totally agree. My best friend & I had a discussion about where we have volunteered, what we did, why we did, and how it made us feel. It's a very rewarding experience. I like to make a difference in someone's life, even if it's just giving them an hour a day of my time. Michelle & I never knew until recently that we were volunteering at the same animal shelter 30 minutes from here; and that every year we were both volunteering during the same holidays at different shelters & homes. It's nice to have someone share the same experiences as you.
I really want to go back to tutoring kids who have a harder time comprehending subjects than their fellow classmates. It hurts to watch them struggle. I remember tutoring a young boy when I was a senior in high school. I tutored him for a week for his first math test.. he received a C. When I got the test back, I was devastated for him. Was I not doing enough? Was he not comprehending me? Was I moving too fast for him? But what was shocking was that he and his mom were HAPPY. Happy with a C? As his mom told me, Matt never gotten a C in math. He was a D/F student. A C was monumental; it was a step closer to an A. And I was told I was doing GREAT. How humbling that was.
Each time I'm told "Thank You" I feel my heart growing bigger & bigger. That is why I've been trying to spread the word about helping charities & causes. I've been diving head first into this project with #VAW. I feel that just helping one person would help thousands after her. And I do know all too well how it feels. I want to be the help for someone that I never got. I hate even saying "I". I know this is a "we" effort & I am so grateful to be part of this movement. I've finally found what I needed to do since I was 14. My passion might be history, wanting to be a curator, but my calling is this. I've found Natalye. And boy does it feel WONDERFUL.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome post about volunteering! The heart grows bigger as you love others. Way to go.

Jonathan
OperationSAFE
http://opsafeintl.com